Our Georgetown Walkathon is on Friday, Sept. 22. This is our only school fundraiser for the year. We are asking families and relatives to consider making a donations to fund our special school and classroom projects. This year’s theme is Superhero Walkathon 2017 and students are invited to dress as superheroes. For more information, view this slideshow.
Our second grade mathematicians have been working hard to build their math strategies. We are learning about math facts through the use of math mountains. Next week we will learn additional strategies to help us when we add or subtract. Below please find a parent letter for more details.
As children are introduced to strategies and new topics/instruction, they have an opportunity to practice using games, hands on activities, math journal work, partner practice and fact fluency through each of their work sites. Our learners visit all of the work sites each day and have done a FABULOUS job getting to work quickly and quietly.
We had a great first day together as a second-grade family! Our day was filled with learning about procedures, expectations and getting to know one another. Setting the classroom climate is key for our learning this year.
Together we created a classroom promise and the children created mini faces to make their pledge to one another. Thanks for sharing your children with me, I am really enjoying getting to know them!
For day 2.. get a great nights sleep, pack 2 snacks, decide on a lunch, bring back any office papers, and return your daily blue folder! Woohoo! Can’t wait for day 2 together!
It was wonderful to meet everyone at Open House Thursday night! Thanks for attending! It made me very excited for the upcoming year! We have an amazing group! Before our exciting first day, here are three important reminders…
Student Information Forms – Please send in the student information forms (received at Open House) back to school on Tuesday. Double check to make sure that your contact information is correct for our files.
Me Bags – At Open House, your child also received a Me Bag. We will enjoy sharing these bags as we get to know one another throughout the first week of school. Please make sure that your child’s name is on his/her bag before sending it to school on Tuesday.
Water Bottle and Snacks – Your child should bring two healthy nut free snacks and a filled water bottle (no juice please) to stay fueled every day. Morning and afternoon snacks are essential for maintaining energy and attention. Please do not send candy or sugary snacks. High sugar foods cause an energy crash that makes learning difficult. If your child ever forgets a snack, we have a great supply of graham crackers (thanks for your donations!). For more information on snack ideas, you can click the Nut Free Snack List found on the left side of our blog.
**Finally, with the start of a new school year many students experience some anxiety. Here is link to an excellent blog post to help children through these stressful moments. 13 Powerful Phrases Proven to Help an Anxious Child Calm Down
Looking forward to seeing those wonderful second graders on Tuesday. 🙂
I can’t wait to meet everyone tonight at 6:30 pm for Open House!!! Remember to bring your supplies for the first day if possible to lighten the first day load!
I am all the way at the end of the 2/3 hallway room 208!!!
I can’t wait to see all my smart 2nd grade cookies!!!
SAVE THE DATE!
Our grade 1-5 Open House is on Thursday August 24 from 6:30-7:30pm. Feel free to bring any of your child’s supplies with you to the open house. It really helps them feel settled in and prevents heavy backpacks on the first day. 🙂 Please see the tab to the top for a complete list of school supplies.
Please also take a few moments if you haven’t already to fill out the 2nd Grade Survey so I can gain more information about you and your child before school begins!
Looking forward to seeing you soon! Can’t wait to meet everyone!
Please take a few moments to fill out the 2nd Grade Survey so I can gain more information about you and your child before school begins!
I hope everyone is having a fantastic summer! Thanks!
Happy July 1st! I will give your child many tools that we will use every day (crayons, pencils, folders, notebooks), but I would love some help with these specialty items.
Please bring these supplies to our Open House on Thursday, August 24.
- pencil box (make sure that it can open and close easily)
- earbuds (please label with your child’s name, a piece of tape works well)
- gym shoes (kept in your child’s locker)
- 1″ binder with pockets on the inside cover
- composition notebook, wide ruled
- 1 pair of blunt child’s scissors, labeled with your child’s name
- 1 box of bandaids
Important items your child should bring to school every day.
- backpack (big enough for a lunchbox, folder, library book, and snow gear in the winter)
- filled water bottle (water only, no juice please)
- 2 healthy snacks (one for the morning and one for the afternoon… second graders get hungry!)
- Wish List Items…. (things to donate if you can to our room..just pick 1 0r 2…)
- box of graham crackers
- page protector sheets
- colored pencils
- disinfectant wipes
Thanks so much for helping your child get ready for second grade! Please email me if you have any questions. 🙂
~Ms. Yankee ( email@example.com)
- Did you know that every BOXTOP and every COKE CAP collected earns money for our school? This summer we would like you to work hard to collect both. The money we earn will go toward a basketball hoop on our K/1 playground!
- BOXTOPS: Every completed BOXTOP sheet is worth $5.00. If every child from Georgetown (approx 550) fills one sheet this summer, our school will earn $2,750. Many thanks to Lori Simpson and all of you who are on her team of BOX TOP counters, trimmers and packers. This is a great program that pays off because of all of YOU! Download your form here: Summer Box TopsCOKE CAPS: Super easy. Save the caps and go online to enter collection! COKE WEBSITE (https://us.coca-cola.com/give/) Select Georgetown Elementary and enter the code on the cap. Now you can recycle the cap. No need to send it to school.
AND…don’t forget about your FAMILY FARE/D&W receipts. Those add up too! SAVE these all summer long and
Finally…AMAZON SMILE. Order everything from AMAZON through our smile link to earn our school MONEY!