Our second grade mathematicians have been working hard to build their math strategies. We are learning about math facts through the use of math mountains. Next week we will learn additional strategies to help us when we add or subtract. Below please find a parent letter for more details.
As children are introduced to strategies and new topics/instruction, they have an opportunity to practice using games, hands on activities, math journal work, partner practice and fact fluency through each of their work sites. Our learners visit all of the work sites each day and have done a FABULOUS job getting to work quickly and quietly.
We had a great first day together as a second-grade family! Our day was filled with learning about procedures, expectations and getting to know one another. Setting the classroom climate is key for our learning this year.
Together we created a classroom promise and the children created mini faces to make their pledge to one another. Thanks for sharing your children with me, I am really enjoying getting to know them!
For day 2.. get a great nights sleep, pack 2 snacks, decide on a lunch, bring back any office papers, and return your daily blue folder! Woohoo! Can’t wait for day 2 together!
I can’t wait to meet everyone tonight at 6:30 pm for Open House!!! Remember to bring your supplies for the first day if possible to lighten the first day load!
I am all the way at the end of the 2/3 hallway room 208!!!
I can’t wait to see all my smart 2nd grade cookies!!!
Please take a few moments to fill out the 2nd Grade Survey so I can gain more information about you and your child before school begins!
I hope everyone is having a fantastic summer! Thanks!
Happy July 1st! I will give your child many tools that we will use every day (crayons, pencils, folders, notebooks), but I would love some help with these specialty items.
Please bring these supplies to our Open House on Thursday, August 24.
- pencil box (make sure that it can open and close easily)
- earbuds (please label with your child’s name, a piece of tape works well)
- gym shoes (kept in your child’s locker)
- 1″ binder with pockets on the inside cover
- composition notebook, wide ruled
- 1 pair of blunt child’s scissors, labeled with your child’s name
- 1 box of bandaids
Important items your child should bring to school every day.
- backpack (big enough for a lunchbox, folder, library book, and snow gear in the winter)
- filled water bottle (water only, no juice please)
- 2 healthy snacks (one for the morning and one for the afternoon… second graders get hungry!)
- Wish List Items…. (things to donate if you can to our room..just pick 1 0r 2…)
- box of graham crackers
- page protector sheets
- colored pencils
- disinfectant wipes
Thanks so much for helping your child get ready for second grade! Please email me if you have any questions. 🙂
~Ms. Yankee ( email@example.com)
It’s Summer… BOXTOPS and COKE CAPS and MORE!
- Did you know that every BOXTOP and every COKE CAP collected earns money for our school? This summer we would like you to work hard to collect both. The money we earn will go toward a basketball hoop on our K/1 playground!
- BOXTOPS: Every completed BOXTOP sheet is worth $5.00. If every child from Georgetown (approx 550) fills one sheet this summer, our school will earn $2,750. Many thanks to Lori Simpson and all of you who are on her team of BOX TOP counters, trimmers and packers. This is a great program that pays off because of all of YOU! Download your form here: Summer Box TopsCOKE CAPS: Super easy. Save the caps and go online to enter collection! COKE WEBSITE (https://us.coca-cola.com/give/) Select Georgetown Elementary and enter the code on the cap. Now you can recycle the cap. No need to send it to school.
AND…don’t forget about your FAMILY FARE/D&W receipts. Those add up too! SAVE these all summer long and
Finally…AMAZON SMILE. Order everything from AMAZON through our smile link to earn our school MONEY!
Welcome to our second grade families! I am thrilled to be making the switch to 2nd grade this year and couldn’t be more excited to teach your child! I am looking forward to a wonderful year ahead! Please make sure to register for email subscriptions (upper right hand corner of blog) which alerts you via email when our classroom blog is updated. We use the blog for classroom happenings, activities, special events and to share our learning fun.
Looking forward to the upcoming year… ENJOY YOUR SUMMER and treasure up some small moments to write about in the fall! We will post a classroom supply list during the first few weeks of July (crazy to think about).