Meet Ms. Yankee…

Hope everyone is still soaking up their summer! Thought I would share a little bit about me…

A warm welcome to my 2nd Grade Blog! Welcome to what I know will be a very special year for your child. I am overjoyed to begin my eighth year at Georgetown as your child’s 2nd grade teacher!

This is my nineth year in the Hudsonville district. I have had five amazing years teaching Kindergarten at Georgetown! I decided two years ago to begin a new chapter and move to teaching 2nd grade! I have loved the past two years and I can’t wait to begin another great year as your child’s second grade teacher. I couldn’t be more excited to return to school for a new year of learning! Eight years ago, I taught at South Elementary as the Special Education Resource Room Teacher. Before that I worked in Jenison as the Kindergarten Teacher, leading a kindergarten enrichment program.

I graduated from Grand Valley State University with a Bachelor’s degree in Special Education and Elementary Education. I  just completed my masters degree recently from GVSU in the area of learning disabilities, an area I am very passionate about.  I am originally from Birmingham, MI, a suburb outside of Detroit, but I have made the move to the beautiful West side of the state after falling in love with the area after college. I come with a strong passion for working with young children, and I’m willing to go the extra mile to ensure your child achieves success! I am attuned to the diverse learning styles of all students, bringing my creativity, high energy, and compassion to enrich your child’s school experience.

When I’m not in the classroom teaching, I enjoy keeping active, running, hitting workout classes, and anything near the water! However, this past May an injury slowed me down. I had to undergo patella tendon knee surgery. I have been taking this summer to literally get back on my feet. I am looking forward to getting back to my active lifestyle soon.  I also love to visit my family cottage on Lake Michigan in Traverse City. My other interests include being at the beach, gardening, and spending quality time with friends and family.

I can’t tell you how excited I am to be returning for my eighth year at Georgetown! I am looking forward to meeting you and working with your son/daughter!

Thanks,

Ms. Yankee (Mackenzie Yankee)