This week we started a new math unit.. YEAH! We will be using new tools, rulers, to help us measure line segments, draw shapes and solve for perimeter ( distance around a shape). Our main focus will be describing shapes by their name, the numbers of angles and the number of sides that they have. We will also be investigating 3-Dimensional shapes and using BIG geometry terms such as, faces, prism and area. We are SUPER excited about our measurement study!!!! Here is a copy of the most recent parent letter:
P.E. Blog http://mvankoev.edublogs.org
REMINDER: KEEP TRACK OF YOUR BOOKS ALL YEAR!
If you have ever dreamed of being a millionaire, now is your chance. Every student has the opportunity to become a member of this club if they succeed in reading for 1,000,000 words (or more) this year.
Mrs. VandenBerg, our librarian, keeps the tally of your books read on Reading Counts and Book Blogs. The word count keep growing as long as you keep turning in your book lists, completing book blogs and/or completing reading counts quizzes. You can also track the books you read at home on this document (just print at home and write down your books). We celebrate the millionaires at the end of each school year. Find out about past millionaires by searching our blog with the key word ‘ millionaires ‘.
As a member of the MILLION WORDs club, each member will have their name on the MILLIONAIRE’s BOARD (display case in our rotunda) and receive gift card to BARNES and NOBLE. How do you log your words? It’s as easy as this:
- READING COUNTS QUIZZES: Each time you complete a Reading Counts quiz, you get credit for all those words. Mrs. Vandenberg keeps track of the word count for you.
- BOOK SHOUT OUT…If you aren’t a fan of the quizzes, write about your book SHOUT OUT to encourage others to read the book too.
- MILLION WORD CLUB BOOK LIST: If you don’t like READING COUNTS QUIZZES, but you LOVE to read, you can still work on becoming a MILLIONAIRE. Keep track of ALL the books you read at home (and on vacation) print this form: Million Word Club History – PDF.
Quick link for word counting here: WORD COUNT LINK
Our classroom is participating in the BOOK IT! program again this year to help encourage reading. Your child will be bringing home a Pizza Hut Book It calendar with a reading goal on it beginning October 1. Each time your child reads they may mark it on their calendar. At the end of the month please have them return their calendar to school and they will bring home a coupon attached to it for a FREE personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. This program runs from October thru March. HAPPY READING!!!
Our BIG and ONLY school fundraiser is scheduled for Friday, 9/27/19. We will be holding an all school GO EAGLES Walk•A•Thon — a day for everyone to wear blue & gold — and also the same day as our Homecoming Football Game.
The money raised for our Walk•A•Thon funds all events for the year: Parent/Child Programs, On Line Learning Platforms (RAZ KIDS), equipment for Art, Music, PE, STEAM Studio, books for classrooms and the library, playground equipment, etc.
- 9:45 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.: K, 1st, 2nd Graders Walk
- 10:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: 3rd, 4th, 5th Graders Walk
- Walkathon ends at 11:30.
What are the prizes?
● TOP EARNING WINNERS from EACH GRADE: Lunch and dessert with MRS. REAGAN
● Top WINNING CLASSROOM: Limo Ride AND Lunch at Pizza Ranch.
● EVERY PARTICIPANT who raises $30 or more will receive an Eagles Tshirt!
● EVERY PARTICIPANT will be entered into drawings to win raffle prizes such as an electric Razor scooter, Target gift cards and gift certificates to Hudsonville Lanes, Holland Aquatic Center, Celebration Cinema, Craig’s Cruisers, Rebounderz and Eagle Athletic passes.
- September 27th: Georgetown Elementary Walkathon
- September 30th: Completed donation forms and money due back to school
- Early October: Results announced and prizes awarded
Any questions or if you can help the day of the event please contact Audrey Straub at 616-644-5318 or email@example.com.
Every child who raises $30 or more will receive an EAGLES T-Shirt. These are also linked below.
Thanks for supporting our wonderful school!
Our second grade mathematicians have been working hard to build their math strategies. We are learning about math facts through the use of math mountains. Below please find a parent letter for more details. Practice math mountains at home together and challenge your 2nd grader to solve and write equations to match! 🙂